Thursday, November 11, 2010

Almond cake with chocolate frosting

Just a quick blog note while on a short hiatus from studying:



The cake layers are from David Lebovitz, and the recipe is available here. I used two 8" pans instead of the 9" that he calls for in the recipe; the baking time is about the same. Note that the cake requires almond paste, which is not the same thing as marzipan. Vancouver bakers can get almond paste at The Grainry inside the Public Market on Granville Island.

For the icing, I re-visited an old favorite: Mrs. Milman's chocolate frosting. The recipe and accompanying video are available here.

This frosting actually takes a good four hours to set in the fridge if you follow the instructions. Here are my notes and modifications:
  1. The recipe was halved.
  2. Pour the cream into the pan you're going to be cooking in and set it out to room temperature 30 minutes before cooking. This will take the chill out of the cream, and will hasten cooking a bit.
  3. The cream and chocolate chips are cooked on LOW (not medium low as the recipe says) for 30 minutes (instead of 35), all the while stirring to make sure that no chocolate is sticking to the bottom of the pan. When the chocolate has all melted and the mixture looked homogeneous, I increased the heat *slightly*. If the cream is chilled when you started cooking, this will take longer than 35 minutes.
  4. I placed the heated cream/chocolate in a pre-chilled metal bowl and stirred it for a few minutes to rapidly cool the mixture before proceeding with the cooling step.
  5. I then placed the bowl in an icebath and I began to stir vigorously, occasionally taking the bowl out of the bath to make sure that the icing isn't forming any solid lumps. This method is quite a workout but the icing will be done in about 15 to 20 minutes, not four hours.
The frosting is done when it is very thick but still spreadable (it should hold furrows and soft shapes sculpted with a butter knife).

This frosting swirls very well:

18 comments:

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

Looks very impressive!

Christina said...

Your cakes area wonderful! I love the swirls.

MHMS said...

You know, my new years resolution is to NOT eat cakes and pastries for a year (it's my weakness), and you're making that really hard!

cracker said...

amazing. i can almost feel the taste in my mouth by looking at this

burbujitabebe said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!
I´LL TRY TO COOK SOMETHING THIS WEEK :D
http://eldiariodeshyris.blogspot.com/

Secret Admirer said...

Thank you interesting post

etain_lavena said...

Yummy now I am just hungry. Love how it is iced:)

copyscape check said...

simple awesome, mouth watering one. kids will definitely love this. YUMMY !!!

MyCreativeMind said...

Very nice work. Everything looks yummy!

MyCreativeMind said...

looks delicious!

Joseph the Butler said...

I wish you were still blogging, your site is so well done. Clean, simple, fresh.

fazryx said...

ehmmm
nice blog my blog

Chloe Greene said...

Mouth-watering use of words and images. I'm learning to cook in my fifties and will return to your lovely blog.
http://chroniclesofchloegreene.blogspot.com/

Pzmint said...

Look yummy!!!

Tina said...

Interesting post.

Malenadu said...

Looks damn yummy. Too good. Well designed blog for the genre. Thank you for sharing. Please visit my blog and do follow it.

http://malenadugroup.blogspot.com/

Spiky said...

i want to have a bite.

Flora Lucena Ugalde said...

I just love this blog!