Monday, July 19, 2010

Rainier cherry frangipane tartlets

The local cherry harvest is finally in full swing here in Vancouver.

Having feasted on cherries in almost about everything - tossed in salads, served alongside fiery Andouille sausages (works very well!), as a raw snack or dessert - I decided today to give in to a baking urge that I have been suppressing. This is the result:



I whipped up my favourite tart crust and used 1/3 of the dough to line two 4" tartlets, which I froze for two hours, then blind-baked for 20 minutes in a 350 F oven. Be sure to check out the tart crust recipe and the step by step photos courtesy of LA Times.

Then, I filled each blind-baked tartlet with a tablespoon of frangipane. The best frangipane, in my opinion is Dorie Greenspan's almond cream, to which I add a tablespoon or two of cream during the final whir in the food processor. This produces a lighter (well, not calorie-wise, just texturally) frangipane. The recipe makes quite a bit, but I find that it freezes well - just stir vigorously after thawing.

On goes some cherries, and in they go into the a preheated 350 F oven for about 30-35 minutes. Don't forget to turn halfway through the baking time.



They are done when the frangipane puffs and begins to brown at the centre.





Notes

  • This dessert relies on the sweetest cherries one can find. I prefer Rainier cherries to the more well-trodden Bing.
  • Don't overcrowd the tartlet with cherries, otherwise the frangipane won't bake.
  • Photos were taken with my iPhone 3GS.

1 comment:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Lovely little tartlets!

Cheers,

Rosa