Sunday, March 28, 2010

Lesley Stowe's Death by Chocolate and Raspberry Splash

Here's a quick blog post as I head into exams:



This is the ultimate chocolate lover's dessert, and it is surprisingly easy to put together.

Lesley Stowe has the recipe on her website. There is even a youtube video on how to put this together. For those reading this via FB, you won't see the video embedded below, so just click on this link.



Notes:
  • The youtube video uses half the recipe on Lesley Stowe website.
  • I prefer a taller cake/ganache so I multiply the recipe by 1.5 on the website to fill a 6-cup loaf pan. This will make 16 very generous servings. A 6-cup loaf pan measures 8"x 4" at the bottom and tapers to 8.5" x 4.5" at the top.
  • I do not use Cointreau or Grand Marnier, and my friends who have made it with those ingredients say there is not much difference between my alcohol-free D by C and theirs.
  • While Ms Stowe recommends 62% to 70% cocoa dark-chocolate, I personally prefer 50%. At any rate, use the best chocolate available (Callebaut or Valrhona) and certainly do not go below 50% or your D by C might not mould well. Set in the fridge overnight (not four hours), unmold, then cut with a knife warmed over a running hot tap.
  • When I first made the raspberry splash, I did not strain it. It was alright. However, it was absolutely divine after having been strained. In retrospect, I actually feel slightly embarrassed that I served the unstrained raspberry splash.

1 comment:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Thta dessert looks to die for! A lovely recipe!

Cheers,

Rosa