Monday, December 28, 2009

Mother-in-law's Birthday Cake Part 1

My mother-in-law is celebrating a major birthday on New Year's Eve and I am excited to make her cake. True to form, I was wracked with indecision right from the get-go. What flavour should the cake be? What should it look like?

Pat simplified things by asking his mom what flavour she prefers. Lemon it is. Now all I need is to settle on its appearance.

I decided early on that I wanted a two-tier cake although I did not want to hew too closely to formal wedding cakes. This needs to be whimsical. I perused my blog to look at my past work and began sketching:



Up top is the lemon curd cake that I have made on several occasions over the last couple years. I like the dots and stripes that festoon its surface. Below it is a swirly chocolate cake. I'll have to decide later which direction I'll go. In the meantime, I went ahead and the baked génoise layers.



I mistakenly used an 8" pan instead of 9"; baking without my usual early morning coffee is my excuse. An 8" layer will not stack well with the 6" cake - visually, the proportions would be off if the smaller cake was placed on top and centre. Clearly, the layers will need to be stacked off-centre:



The bulk of the work was done today - baking, making the filling and buttercream, initial assembly and crumb-coating. Here is one of the cakes after the crumb-coat:



Now all that needs to be done is put on the final coat of buttercream and some finishing flourishes.

Notes:

This is a new buttercream from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Rose's Heavenly Cakes. It starts with a white chocolate custard base that is incorporated into whipped butter and flavoured with lemon curd. A definite find!

Some génoise pointers can be found in this post.

3 comments:

glamah16 said...

Happy to see your back to baking and blogging. Hope School is doing OK.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That cake is fabulous!

Cheers,

Rosa

Katrina said...

Awesome! Happy New Year!