Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Tuesday with Dorie: Gooey Chocolate Cakes

Fondant au chocolat. I cannot remember when or where I first broke its crust to become acquainted with its dark centre - all flowing and molten, insistent and lusty.


It would be an absolute travesty if one's first fondant au chocolat - more familiar nowadays as a lava cake - was the type that came out of a box which demands only a short sojourn in the microwave.

The encounter would be that much poorer, that much more reduced.

Gone will be the seduction of that brown mound which begins to tease the moment it is taken out of the heat of an oven:


Lain on a bed of crème anglaise, it beckons, begging unrelentingly to be taken.


Anticipation gives way as the pristine blanket is sullied by a warm break of chocolate. Indulgence becomes pressing. And the ensuing delight is unutterable.



Notes:
  • It can be tricky to make the cakes gooey. Since the recipe makes 6 servings, I suggest you use one to test baking times. Invariably, this will be less than the 13 minutes that is mentioned. Under-baking is key. (For my cakes, I used ramekins and the perfect baking time was about nine minutes).
  • The higher the cocoa percent of the chocolate you use, the faster this thing will set. I use milk chocolate to make sure I have lots of goo. This tip also works for brownies - if you want fudgier brownies, use lower percent cocoa chocolate.
  • Instead of scattering chocolate pieces over the batter, try piling a mound of it over the individual cups then pushing these mounds slightly in.

24 comments:

chelley325 said...

Looks wonderful - great job! I always love the notes at the end of your posts too!

Shari said...

Great tips at the end about the cocoa percentages! Nice pictures.

Mevrouw Cupcake said...

I used 66% chocolate, so I now I know why mine were left oozy-gooey. Next time I'll play around with oven time. Yours look fabulous, thanks for the tips!

CB said...

Have you ever thought about writing romance novels? Talking about gooey cakes getting me hot! haha. Awesome pictures and great tips!
Clara @ I♥food4thought

Donna said...

Luscious looking OOEY GOOEY Cakes!

Yes, you could write Chocolate Romance Novels! You'd be soooo sought after!

Madam Chow said...

Beautiful photos and lusty prose! ;) I love your tips at the end, by the way. Very helpful. Mine set a bit too much, and my cocoa was 70%. I also used dark pans. Nonetheless, they tasted great!

Sarah said...

Seriously, just reading your post made me drool. Great job!

Cafe Johnsonia said...

Your cake looks lovely! I wish I'd underbaked mine a little more. I only did 10 minutes, but I wanted a lava center like yours. Don't worry, I still ate it and it was delicious!

Marie said...

I think your cakes look fabulous! Mine were more fudgy than gooey, but they did taste delicious, especially with a drizzle of muscovado toffee sauce and some clotted cream!!

Erin said...

This looks wonderful! Your centers are perfect!

Annemarie said...

Beautiful cakes & nice narration! Good tip on the chocolate...I tend to prefer milk chocolate anyways...that makes me want to try the recipe again!

LyB said...

I love the idea of serving these with crème anglaise, beautiful!

Julie said...

Oh my yum, that looks so delicious! Wonderful job, Julius! I've got to try that recipe out.

Dolores said...

Great job Julius... you've got goo-oooo. And anyone who claims food isn't a sensual experience needs to visit this post. :)

Mary said...

ok i just spent way too long on this blog...everything is so beautiful and your efforts to really inform readers have not gone unnoticed! great gooey cakes as well!

April said...

Beautiful as always!!

noskos said...

Wow, they look fabulous!!

Judy said...

The cakes look gorgeous. I like your suggestions for playing with chocolate percentages/types.

chou said...

Yum. The creme anglaise lifts it from yummy to oh-my level.

BTW, I'm not actually sure that "cutting in" is the true name for the method, but it described what was going on . . . I'll get back to you when I really find the name.

Rachel said...

Can you come live at my house and give me tips? Thanks!

Love the write up and tips!

Carrie Sue said...

Thanks for the link and the kind words about the logo, I really appreciate it. Plus your dessert is so scrumptious looking, I think I gained 10 lbs just looking at it!

Cynthia said...

The way you explain cooking scientifically and still make it sound non-geekish just cracks me up. Too adorable!! :)

Annemarie said...

I didn't even know you could get one of these as a microwave version. Sounds horrible. I really must start doing Tuesdays with Dorie...

Cecilia said...

What lovely gooey chocolate cakes! They look so divine!