Sunday, April 20, 2008

Balance

Writing an exam this week, so I'm putting blogging on the backburner until next week. Just a quick post this weekend to blab about a few things I'm excited about ~

Many have commented that my baking is not really "occasional" so this blog is a bit misnamed. Yes, I admit, I spend quite a bit of time with Ms Empire Red.


And there are muffin tops everywhere in my household...


So this weekend, we finally forked up a handsome sum for an Octane Q35 Elliptical Trainer.


A little known thing about me is I am a cardio freak.

Oh, who am I kidding.

That statement should read: I used to be a cardio freak. It's been four months since I hit the seawall after being put out commission by a couple of running injuries that has cost me more than a dozen trips to the physiotherapist. Apparently, my derrière is under-developed (a complete surprise to me, by the way) and the muscles I injured were done in by overcompensation.

Good thing this contraption has a resisted squat option, which should help. Click on the image below for a closer look.


What I like most about this elliptical trainer is its modest footprint - only 27" x 68" (to 79" when live). It is also the least expensive model that comes with not much in the way of bells and whistles, which is a good thing.

I firmly believe that the more features something has, the more features there are that will likely need servicing at some point in the future. It might not have escaped your notice that the most commonly non-functioning gadget at a gym is the contact heart rate monitor on cardio machines. So I am glad to dispense with that. I can put two fingers over my carotid for ten seconds, count, then multiply by six.

See you all on the 29th for Tuesdays with Dorie.

6 comments:

Julie said...

I need me one of those (the elliptical machine, not the KitchenAid). May we both get healthy soon. =)

Madam Chow said...

You are too funny - I've upped my cardio significantly since I jumped on the TWD bandwagon!

BC said...

Ms. Empire Red has a place of honour in my kitchen too. The cardio machine, hmmm, not so much.

Sheltie Girl said...

I have an Empire Red KA too. Unfortunately at her age she is showing a few knicks and dings. I was thinking she needed a hot rod paint job a la Alton Brown.

As for the machine...it would probably become a glorified clothes horse, as my family and I would rather be doing something...anything outdoors.

Natalie @ Gluten a Go Go

kellypea said...

I'll take an order of balance to go, please. I get in about 15 miles a week or so out walking, so I'm barely keeping ahead of my dear Kitchen Aid, Bertha. Good luck on those glutes.

Shirlie said...

Hi, Julius. I'm a PT and I can vouch for the weak glute muscles causing all sorts of lower extremity injuries. Almost all my patients are given exercises for their posterior because having strong hips/glutes will protect your smaller joints from absorbing too much impact. Keep at it. And don't forget single leg squats, too.