Sunday, March 9, 2008

Glad to be back!

First off, I would like to thank everyone who wished me well. Today I had my medical school interview at UBC. All in all, I thought it went well. For the most part, I am glad that the whole application process is over. To celebrate, I dove into this puddle of chocolate:


Still enamoured with Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Cake Bible, I selected the Golden Almond Butter Cake as my base. The cake is a snap to make.

I remember very fondly the chocolate sauce from my first Daring Bakers Challenge - the 1,170 calorie per serving Bostini Cream Pie - so I decided to use it again. To make the sauce more viscous, I let it cool to room temperature before slathering it on the almond cake layer.


Lately, I have been measuring my dry ingredients by weight, save for the small amounts of salt and leavening. I'm not sure that the results are that much improved - this attests to the fact that measuring by cups and spoons is sufficient if done correctly (and that is the caveat).

The bigger advantage, in my opinion is the speed that I am able to put a batter together. Take away the chore of sifting into cups and one shaves off lots of precious time. I could also see how the results would be more consistent when ingredients are measured by weight as there is more uncertainty involved in measuring by volume.


And the interview? Results won't be known until mid-May to early-June. Thanks again for your well-wishes, and I would like to ask once more for your good intentions.

Notes:

Exciting new posts are coming: a survey of some of Vancouver's bakeries, and a Daring Bakers challenge at the end of the month that I am thoroughly revved up about.

My cakes are now baked in 6" x 2" tins, available at Ultimate Baker. I find that any recipe for 9" x 1.5" or 8" x 2" tins can be halved to fit my new smaller tins. I use visual cues for doneness: I wait for the centre of the cake to catch up with the sides. When this happens, I give the cake another 5 to 8 minutes before testing with a skewer. If the cake is at all jiggly, I do not under any circumstance poke the cake. The one time I did, I had the most spectacularly fallen cake. I ought to have taken pictures.

10 comments:

The Food Librarian said...

Julius,
Glad you are back and that your interview went well! So smart and a good baker too! You are definitely a shoo-in.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I'm glad to hear that everything is going well for you! Great!

That cake looks fabulous! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Julie said...

Welcome back, and congrats on completing your interview process! I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed.

The cake, as usual, looks divine, and I'm glad to read you're still trying out Beranbaum's recipes! I haven't tried the almond cake. Did you like it?

chou said...

I hate frosting, but yours always looks like something I would eat.

LizG said...

Your frosting looks fabulous, as always, Julius. I can practically taste it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for positive results for your interview. Wow, medical school..you go, dude!

glamah16 said...

Glad your back. If your as dedicated and detail oriented in your baking as you are in school its should be no problem. I'm praying that you get in.

Annemarie said...

Welcome back Julius. Fingers will continued to be crossed for the good news post interview.
I've also started weighing my cooking goods (scales for christmas, my first time having them) and I agree that I don't notice any huge change in end-product but it makes the cooking process easier.

Mansi Desai said...

Good luck with the results! hope you nailed the interview:)

Jaime said...

this cake looks wonderful! glad to hear your interview went well, i hope you hear some good news soon! my husband is also in medical school...

i came across your blog and thought you might be interested in another bake group aside from the daring bakers (not sure if you have time though), it's called tuesdays with dorie :)
http://tuesdayswithdorie.wordpress.com

Madam Chow said...

I hope all went well on your interview, too, and thanks for posting about the Ultimate Baker - what a great resource!