Friday, July 27, 2007

My birthday cake


I turn 31 tomorrow, with this:



The cake is Dorie Greenspan's "Dressy Chocolate Loaf Cake" cut in half, torted to 3 layers, filled with espresso buttercream (left over from my other chocolate cake), and frosted with Mrs. Milman's chocolate frosting. It is a small cake, measuring about 4.5" x 4" without the icing.

It is glossier than my other cake because I used a blow dryer on it. I rushed the frosting too much by cooling it in an icebath which made it tight. Blow drying the surface a touch enabled me to swoop and swirl the frosting. Looks very homespun anyway. This should look less shiny after its 24 hour stint in the fridge.

Lots to do today, so I leave with one more picture:

4 comments:

laura dot said...

Looks beautiful. If it's a Dorrie recipe I am sure it will be delicious.

Brilynn said...

I loved that you dressed up the dressy loaf cake even more by laying it. It sounds fantastic, and your white out cake is perfect too!

Julie said...

Did I ever tell you that I'm 10 days older than you are?

Kelly-Jane said...

Hi Julius,

I've just found your comment on my blog about this cake! I'm glad you liked it and you made it your own too with the filling, yum, it looks great!