Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Dorie Greenspan's best chocolate chip cookies


So many bakers call their chocolate chip cookies "the best" and I usually disagree. I believe chocolate chip cookies, more than any other baked goods, are measured against personal nostalgia.

My current preference for chocolate chip cookies is very '90s: thick, chunky, chewy and almost doughy. However, the kind that brings back a flood of memories are those of the toll house variety which is the diametric opposite of the '90s cookie. These are also the kind of cookies that I have never been able to bake successfully. My previous attempts produced results that are almost comical. Once, despite having spaced the dropped dough more than 2 inches apart, I ended up with a pan that had a thin coating of crepe-thin cookies that spread spectacularly and ran into each other.

Yes, chocolate chip cookies are temperamental!

Enter Dorie Greenspan, prolific cookbook writer and accomplished pastry chef, and her thin and crisp at the sides but chewy at the center chocolate chip cookies:




The recipe can be found here
, and it is the first one of the toll house variety that I find myself enamored with.

1 comment:

Abby said...

I LOVE Dorie Greenspan. I think she's one of the best things to EVER happen to baking!

Your cookies look great. Chocolate chip are one of my favorite kind!